The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Winter/Spring 2014, Volume 60, Number 1 & 2
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors
A Brief Sketch of San Diego’s Military Presence: 1542-1945
The Sikes of Bernardo: A Case Study of Pioneer Farmers and Agricultural Community Development in Late Nineteenth-Century Southern California
Stephen R. Van Wormer and Susan D. Walter
Tribute to Ann Kantor
The San Diego History Center gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation and the Quest for Truth Foundation for their ongoing support of The Journal of San Diego History. Additional support is provided by Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.
Front Cover: World War II poster honoring the United States Military.
Back Cover: Public welcome for the USS San Diego, 1945. ©SDHC #OP16827-038.
The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.