The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Spring 2015, Volume 61, Number 2
San Diego Invites The World: The 1915 Exposition: A Pictorial Essay
Iris Engstrand and Matthew Schiff
The Wax and Addleson Families: Military Service Abroad and on the Homefront
Donald H. Harrison
On the Cusp of an American Civil Rights Revolution: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Final Visit and Address to San Diego in 1965
Seth Mallios and Breanna Campbell
Landscape, Seascape, Dreamscape Masterworks: Art of the Exposition Era
Coast to Cactus in Southern California
The San Diego History Center gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation and the Quest for Truth Foundation for their ongoing support of The Journal of San Diego History. Additional support is provided by Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.
Front Cover: Colorized postcards from the 1915 Panama-California Exhibition. (Clockwise) California Tower, Botanical Building, Cabrillo Bridge, and Commerce and Industries Building.
Back Cover: USO Headquarters at Horton Plaza, World War II, supported by the Wax Family of San Diego.
The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.
Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.
The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.
All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.