San Diego History Center in Balboa Park: Open Friday, Saturday, Sunday 11 am – 4 pm Junípero Serra Museum: Closed for Restoration – Reopening Late February 2022

The Journal of San Diego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Winter 2017, Volume 63, Number 1

Winter 2017, Volume 63, Number 1 (PDF)

Rancho La Puerta: Where the Fitness Revolution Began

Iris Engstrand

A Plea for Justice: Cupeño Indians versus Homesteaders in 1880s San Diego County

Phil Brigandi

Water Rights to the San Diego River: The Opinion of 1914

John Martin

Indian Gaming in the Kumeyaay Nation

Ethan Banegas


Front and Back Matter (PDF)

The San Diego History Center gratefully acknowledges the generosity of the Robert D.L. Gardiner Foundation and the Quest for Truth Foundation for their ongoing support of The Journal of San Diego History. Additional support is provided by Journal of San Diego History Fund of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.

Front Cover: Scenes from Rancho La Puerta, 2016.

Back Cover: The San Diego River following its historic course to the Pacific Ocean. The San Diego Trolley and a local high-rise flank the river.


The San Diego History Center is a museum, education center, and research library founded as the San Diego Historical Society in 1928. Its activities are supported by: the City of San Diego’s Commission for Arts and Culture; the County of San Diego; individuals; foundations; corporations; fund raising events; membership dues; admissions; shop sales; and rights and reproduction fees.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

The paper in the publication meets the minimum requirements of American National Standard for Information Science-Permanence of Paper for Printed Library Materials, ANSI Z39.48-1984.

All material in the print and online versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.