By ELIZABETH N. SHOR
Scripps Institution of Oceanography Senior Writer
Cover: Ellen Browning Scripps, one of San Diego’s most understanding benefactors, is photographed here in the arcade of her La Jolla home. Miss Scripps many contributions to a fledgling seaside laboratory which would later become world famous as the Scripps Institution of Oceanography are related in the article starting on page 161. Courtesy of The La Jolla Historical Society.
Page 162. Fred Baker, the doctor who collected shells, and found supporters for San Diego’s marine institution.
Page 163. William E. Ritter, the Berkeley professor who brought the dream of a seaside laboratory to San Diego.
Page 164. Edward Willis Scripps, the man of business who did not trust scientists with money, but was anxious to see the project done.
Page 164. The boat house of the Hotel del Coronado was the location for William Ritter’s summer class in 1903.
Page 167. For five years (1905-1910) the marine laboratory occupied this building alongside La Jolla Cove on city park land.
Page 167. The site of Scripps Institution of Oceanography as it appeared in 1908.
Page 168. The George H. Scripps Marine Laboratory in its isolated La Jolla location in 1910. Miss Scripps paid for all: Scripps Building, the Library-Museum, the cottages, the director’s house, the pier (c. 1916).
Page 168-169. [The George H. Scripps Marine Laboratory in 1910.]
Page 171. Ellen Scripps also provided Funds for the marine institution’s first ship, Alexander Agassiz.