Cover image: The Vandruff Estate overlooking Mission Valley at Copley and Oregon Streets began construction in 1916 and featured two large residences, a scientific laboratory, swimming pool and spacious gardens amid some twenty acres of land. Not much is known about its original owners and most of the building’s interiors were still unfinished when the property was purchased by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1924 for the new home of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace School.
Page 179. A page from the 1882 account book for the Academy of Our Lady of Peace.
Page 180. The Academy of Our Lady of Peace. The school was located in property along A Street, between Second and Third Avenues.
Page 180-181. The Academy of Our Lady of Peace is clearly visible in this view of San Diego, c. 1886-88.
Page 185. A cover for one of the Academy’s early brochures – just prior to moving to the Vandruff property overlooking Mission Valley.
Page 187. A moving day scene for the Academy in 1925.
Pages 188-191. Little is known about the Vandruff Estate prior to its occupation by the Sisters of St. Joseph. These views (below) show it about 1925 with the interiors still unfinished and the landscaping quite new.
Page 192. The Academy added to the Vandruff Estate with this classroom building located at the corner of Collier Avenue and Oregon.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS of the account book on page 179 and the brochure cover on page 185 are courtesy of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace. All others are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Company.