Page 97. At the Rest Haven Camp strong emphasis was placed on the concept of convalescent care – rest, good food and sunshine would restore children to health.
Page 100-101. The Rest Haven Camp in the mid-1920s. The small cottages were part of the original tuberculosis camp established in 1913. One mother called it “little red roofs sheltering precious souls.”
Page 101. Mrs. Florence “Ma” Mead, San Diego humanitarian who was president of Rest Haven from 1927-49. Through her efforts, the Rest Haven Preventorium became one of the most important of its time.
Page 102. “Ma” Mead, who had no children of her own, with the “. . . fragile little boys and girls who laugh and rush to her, each eager to hold her hand, each anxious for one of her smiles.”
Page 103. The St. Patrick Dinner Dances were held at the Hotel Del Coronado for the benefit of Rest Haven from 1921 through 1941. Supported by the society leaders of the time, they were considered the event of the year.
Page 105. From 1911 through 1944, Rest Haven was the agency for selling the “Merry Christmas” stamp in San Diego.
Page 106. An examining room at Rest Haven.
Page 107. A dormitory. The continuing focus of the organization was the “well child concept.”
Page 110. The Rest Haven School was established in the camp in 1924 by Professor Edward L. Hardy, President of the State Normal School (San Diego State University). It operated as a public school from 1925 until the facility closed in 1951
Page 111. Young boys at Rest Haven Camp where they came as “pale, listless children” and would leave “brown, firm and plump.”
Page 111. The Rest Haven Preventorium Hospital was dedicated in 1938 and was the most modern facility of its time. It is still used today as the Villa View Community Hospital.
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are courtesy of Rest Haven Preventorium for Children and the San Diego History Center Research Archives.