Page 168. A colorful character, Lt. Cave J. Couts, first came to San Diego in 1848. He later resigned from the army to become a permanent resident.
Page 169. Junction of the Gila and Colorado rivers as drawn in November of 1849.
Page 172. William H. Emory established his observatory near the southeast end of San Diego Bay and called it Camp Riley.
Page 176. Confluence of the Gila and Colorado rivers at Yuma as seen in an early drawing.
Page 179. Lt. Amiel Weeks Whipple was disliked by Lt. Couts. In one letter to Major Emory, Couts remarked that Whipple “was very particular.”
THE PHOTOGRAPHS on pages 168, 172, 176 and 179 are courtesy of the Arizona Historical Society Library. The map on page 169 and the drawings on page 180 are from the San Diego History Center Research Archives.