The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1986, Volume 32, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
Back to the article
Lemon Grove Grammar School, c. 1928. Robert Alvarez, plaintiff in “The Lemon Grove Incident,” is in the third row at far left.
Jerome Green, principal of the Lemon Grove Grammar School during the time of segregation of Mexican students.
The Lemon Grove community about 1905, evokes its namesake with representative groves of citrus trees. Besides agriculture, the town provided jobs for Mexicanos in a local mining quarry and a railroad packing house
Lemon Grove Grammar School class photo, c. 1930. Teacher at left is Jerome Green.
Church of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, c. 1930. Chapel for Mexican Catholics in Lemon Grove established in 1927 by Father Joseph Mesny at 51 Lemon Avenue.
Lemon Grove Mexican community First Communion, June 5, 1929. Josefa Cordero (at far left). Front row (left to right): Maria Luisa, Francis Delgado, Mary Smith. Back row (left to right): Isabel Valdez (godmother), Adalaida Quintero, Guadalupe Ruiz (godmother), Catalina Campos, Refugio Sotelo.
Lemon Grove School, 1905.