The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1986, Volume 32, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
George W. Marston as seen in a portrait c. 1927. Besides his mercantile business, Presidio Park was Marston’s greatest undertaking.
A barren Presidio Hill c. 1913 gives little evidence of the lush park it was to become.
John Nolen, landscape architect, wanted Marston to expand his ideas for Presidio Park.
Marston referred to the Junípero Serra Museum as “the commanding landmark of Presidio Hill.”
Removal of a large city water reservoir in the upper portion of Presidio Park took place in 1928. Photographs, like the one reproduced here (among those Marston presented with his statement) show the huge effort involved. Note the horse-drawn equipment.
Presidio Park, June 1931. Left to right: George Marston, H.N. Farago, unidentified woman, Leroy Wright and John Davidson.
Presidio Park, 1928. The view is looking northwest from what is now the area between Cosoy Way and Presidio Drive.
Junípero Serra Museum and new plantings in 1929.