Page 272. Malcolm A. Love Library, shortly after its completion, 1971.
Page 274. Cover of a 1934 brochure extolling the benefits of the Hotel del Coronado as a convention spot. (Hotel del Coronado Collection, book 285.)
Page 276. From the San Diego & Coronado Ferry Company Collection.
Page 278. San Diego City Board of Health minutes, 3 June 1907. The last paragraph gives the Garbage Committee’s recommendation that the City of San Diego do its own garbage collection, and dispose of it far out at sea. (San Diego County Department of Public Health Collection, book 285).
Page 280. The original company of actors inaugurating the Old Globe Theatre in 1935. The player’s repertory included eight Shakespearean plays. Abridged scripts were used; with the exception of Macbeth,” which required one hour for presentation, each play was performed in forty-five minutes. There were six performances given daily. (Old Globe Theatre Collection, box 1.)
Page 281. San Diego State Teachers College shortly after moving to the University’s current Mission Palisades site in 1931. The school had previously been located at University Heights, at the intersection of El Cajon Boulevard and Normal Street.