The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1995, Volume 41, Number 2
Richard W. Crawford, Editor
Page 110. [Launching of Cuyamaca]
Page 115. Sheer profile and centerline concrete framing of a 7,500-ton reinforced concrete tanker built for the U.S. Shipping Board’s Emergency Fleet Corporation in 1920 and 1921.
Page 118. Seaworn Cuyamaca in new livery after completing steaming trials off San Diego in early July 1920.
Page 121. Concrete aws mixed on the site at ground level, carried aloft in bottom dump buckets that were placed on a centerline dolly, and discharged into hoppers for further distribution by chutes.
Page 122. Wet concrete was delivered by chutes into baffles for placement.
Page 127. Proposed layout of buildings and facilities of the Pacific Marine and Construction Yard, San Diego, at the foot of 32nd Street
Page 128. The fleet destroyer repair base as it appeared in 1928, showing the buildings of the former concrete shipbuilding yard. 32nd Street approaches diagonally from the upper middle right-hand edge.
Page 128. Side-launch of Cuyamaca at 6:25 P.M. on June 12,1920.
Page 129. Gangs removing blocking and installing launching blocking on Cuyamaca.
Page 129. Dog shores (diagonal timber) and launching keys were held in place by manila line leading inboard of launch ways.
Page 131. Miss Lucile Wilde, christening the steamer Cuyamaca on June 12, 1920.
Page 133. The new destroyer base in June 1922 contained buildings of the former Pacific Marine and Construction Yard.