Back to the article: Radio and Real Estate: The U.S. Navy’s First Land Purchase in San Diego
The Naval Radio Transmitting Facility, Chollas Heights, as it appeared upon completion, 1917. “This is a high-powered radio station and contains three 600-foot steel towers, with necessary powerhouse, office building, shop, water tank, main barracks, four quarters for operators and quarters for the officer in charge.” .. Rear Admiral Roger Welles, first Commandant of Naval Operating Base, San Diego, 1920.
San Diego Still-Life 1915: local business leaders meet with Congressmen William Kettner and William Humphreys. From left to right, D. C. Collier, former president, San Diego Chamber of Commerce, and president, Panama-California Exposition; Fred J. Lea, president San Diego Chamber of Commerce, 1913; Representative William Kettner, perennial Chamber director; Representative William Humphreys; S. Clifford Payson; John Forward, Jr., Chairman, Union Trust and Union Title Companies, park commissioner, president San Diego Chamber of Commerce, and Mayor (1932-34); Charles Forward, prominent attorney.
Chamber of Commerce Secretary William Tomkins (far right) at the Panama-California Exposition, Balboa Park, 1915. Other visiting dignataries included (left to right) Frank B. Davison, Walter H. Nagle, S. Glen Andrus, and Joseph E. Caine.
Ed Fletcher restates his offer to Franklin Roosevelt.
The Chamber of Commerce looks after its own.
Naval Radio Transmitting Facility and vicinity, photographed from an airplane, 1930.