Our museums and archives are temporarily closed to support the effort to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

The Journal of San Dego History
San Diego History Center Quarterly
Summer 2011, Volume 57, Number 3
Iris H.W. Engstrand and Molly McClain, Editors
Theodore Strathman and David Miller, Review Editors

The Norman Baynard Photograph Collection: Three Perspectives

Chris Travers, Arnold Baynard, and Nicholas Vega

Remarkable Healers on the Pacific Coast: A History of San Diego’s Black Medical Community

Robert Fikes, Jr.

The Day the San Diego River Was Saved: The History of Floods and Floodplain Planning in Mission Valley

Philip R. Pryde, Ph.D.

Placing the Past in the Present: The Creation of Old Town San Diego State Historic Park

Matthew G. Schiff

In Memorium

Book Reviews

Publication of The Journal of San Diego History is underwritten by a major grant from the Quest for Truth Foundation, established by the late James G. Scripps. Additional support is provided by “The Journal of San Diego Fund” of the San Diego Foundation and private donors.

Front Cover: The Baynard children – Theron (Sonny), Norma Jean, Arnold and Truelene, SDHC # 91:18476-1746

Back Cover: Elijah Gentry poses for a photo next to his automobile in 1948, SDHC # 91:18476-1746

v57-3front  v57-3back

San Diego History Center is able to share the resources of its museums and its extensive collections with the community through the generous support of the following: City of San Diego Commission for Art and Culture; County of San Diego; foundation and government grants; individual and corporate memberships; corporate sponsorship and donation bequests; sales from museum stores and reproduction prints from the Booth Historical Photograph Archives; admissions; and proceeds from fund-raising events.

Articles appearing in The Journal of San Diego History are abstracted and indexed in Historical Abstracts and America: History and Life.

All material in the print and on-line versions of The Journal of San Diego History is protected by copyright, © San Diego History Center.