March 18, 2014
(619) 232-6203 x148
SAN DIEGO HISTORY CENTER NAMES 2014 “MAKERS OF SAN DIEGO HISTORY”
History Center honors the presence of the U.S. Military in San Diego and recognizes the achievements of Walter J. Zable
San Diego, California—The San Diego History Center (SDHC) will hold its annual “Makers of San Diego History” tribute on Sunday, April 6, 2014 aboard the USS Midway Museum from 6:30 to 10pm. The annual tribute honors a “person, business, or industry that has made history in their own time” and raises funds for SDHC’s education programs. This year SDHC celebrates the vast contributions of the U. S. Military in San Diego and pays special tribute to the late Walter J. Zable, founder and president of Cubic Corp. Single tickets are $150 or $1,500 for a table of 10 may be purchased at sandiegohistory.org/makersofhistory.
Media personality, Mark Larson, will emcee the program which will include a short video on the life of Walter J. Zable before the presentation of the Makers of San Diego award. Also on display during the dinner will be military images from the San Diego History Center’s historical photographic collection.
Presenting the award will be Former Governor Pete Wilson. Accepting the Makers of History Award on behalf of the military will be:
- Rear Admiral Patrick J. Lorge, Commander, Navy Region Southwest
- Brigadier General James W. Bierman, Jr. Commanding General, Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego and the Western Recruiting Region
The event is also a festive prelude to SDHC’s upcoming featured exhibition Presidio to Pacific Powerhouse: How the Military Shaped San Diego which opens on April 26, 2014 and runs through the end of the year.
The exhibition is a 10-museum collaboration documenting the profound impact of the U.S. Military on the growth and development of our region, past, present and future. The exhibition explores the relationship between the military and the San Diego community over the past 200 years, highlighting unique aspects of the military experience in San Diego.
Major features include large artifacts from local military bases, films, oral histories and a interactives. Public and youth education programs and lectures complement this major exhibition. The exhibition’s presenting sponsors are Cubic Corp and Wells Fargo.
Participating museum sites:
- San Diego History Center (Hub Exhibition) features: Presidio to Pacific Powerhouse: How the Military Shaped San Diego
- Coronado Historical Association and Museum of History and Art features: The History of U. S. Navy SEALs in Coronado
- Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation & Marine Aviation Museum features: Marine Air…..North Island to Miramar
- Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton features: The History of Camp Pendleton
- Maritime Museum of San Diego features: A Century of Submarines in San Diego
- MCRD Command Museum features: MCRD San Diego
- NTC at Liberty Station features: CHOW! Feeding a Navy
- San Diego Air & Space Museum features: San Diego Aerospace Industry: Serving the Military for 100 Years
- USS Midway Museum features: The Evolution of the Aircraft Carrier in San Diego
- Veteran’s Museum & Memorial Center features: The Army, The Navy and Balboa Park: A History 1915-1945
San Diego History Center, which also operates the Junípero Serra Museum in Presidio Park, tells the diverse story of our region?past, present, and future?educating and enriching our community, preserving our history and fostering civic pride. The History Center was founded in 1928 and is one of the oldest and largest historical organizations in California. It is one of only a handful of institutions nationwide that is dedicated to celebrating the heritage of a major American city. Admission to both museums is: $8, $6, and $4. Children under 5 are free.
– ### –