The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1981, Volume 27, Number 2
Page 117. G.H. Ballou & Co., importers of tea and coffee, as it appeared at the time of the founding of San Diego’s Red Cross. Mrs. Ballou, wife of the proprietor, was president of the San Diego’s Red Cross for eighteen years, from 1898 to 1916.
Page 118. San Diego YMCA building (c. 1907), likely to have been the site of the organizational meetings of the San Diego Red Cross.
Page 122. In August, 1899, a little more than one year after San Diego’s Red Cross was founded, Major Willis Wittich, of the Twenty-First Infantry sent this letter to Mrs. Ballou, thanking the Red Cross for providing each of his men with a “housewife,” a small mending kit.
Page 125. General Tasker H, Bliss (full figure, far right) and some of his soldiers stand on the American side of the California-Mexican border waiting the arrival of the surrendering insurrectos in May, 1911
THE PHOTOGRAPHS are from the San Diego History Center’s Title Insurance and Trust Collection. The letter reproduced on page 122 is courtesy of the San Diego Chapter, American Red Cross.