by James N. Price
Santa Fe Stations
FALLBROOK — one that got away
History: This gorgeous two-story brick depot was built in 1920, replacing a vintage 1880s station that was washed out in Temecula Canyon in the floods of 1916. Because the line to Temecula had been abandoned in 1891, the line to Fallbrook was only a spur, used for freight operations until 1970. The building was torn down in the 1970s to the surprise and disappointment of many residents. The tracks into town disappeared in 1980.
Location: Fallbrook’s station was located on the north side of.Alvarado St., about 2 blocks east of Main Street. Only two very tall palm trees remain at the site; however places where the tracks crossed Alvarado, Main, and other downtown streets are still easily discernable.
Fallbrook’s lovely 2-story station as it appeared in the 1940s. (Eric Sanders Collection).