The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
by James N. Price
Santa Fe Stations
History: This station, dedicated on December 7,1946, cost $100,000 and replaced a lovely 1880s vintage gingerbread-covered building. The only notable feature of today’s station is the blue and white Santa Fe tilework near the roof line. This building was used as passenger terminal until 1983 when the adjacent Oceanside Transportation Center was built. The new “station” is little more than a covered walkway.
Present Use: The depot houses Santa Fe offices only. The railrpad plans to raze the building as the city wants to renew this part of town and move Santa Fe operations to the north side of city.
Location: Oceanside’s stucco station is located downtown at the corner of Mission and Cleveland Streets, adjacent to the modern Transit Center where one can easily make bus and train connections.
Oceanside’s original station, seen in this 1890s photo, was adorned with gingerbread like its neighbors in Carlsbad and Encinitas. The building was torn down in the 1940s. (San Diego History Center – Ticor Collection).
Oceanside’s newer depot was dedicated in 1946. It sits adjacent to the more modern Oceanside Transit Center.