The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
by James N. Price
La Jolla Hermosa | Lemon Grove | Tijuana/San Ysidro | Tecate
History: Campo’s train station was built about 1918 and was used for passenger service until 1951. Freight activity continued until line abandonment in the early 1980s. This woodframe structure looks more like a train station than almost any other in San Diego County, replete with the standard gold color, the county’s only semaphore (signal light), and a name plate (Campo) atop the roof line.
Present Use: This depot is leased as private residence. However, the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association (PSRMA) hopes to use it for ticket sales and the station for its operations. About 100 yards east of the station, PSRMA has an extensive yard with several dozen pieces of rolling stock, and a large workshop building. The railfan group is running rail excursions for tourists and is planning an extensive museum, gift shop, and center for railroadiana in the San Diego area.
Location: The Campo station and PSRMA yard are located trackside about 1/2 mile east of the old store in Campo. PSMRA has installed several signs to guide tourists off Highway 94 and through several turns in the old Camp Lockett complex.
The Campo station is leased as a private residence, although PSRMA hopes to use the building as part of its tourist railroad operations.
PSRMA has built an extensive yard at Campo a few hundred yards east of the station. Tourist trains run each weekend.