The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
by James N. Price
Main Article | Santa Fe Stations | Spreckels Empire
Stations of the Spreckels Empire
Campo | Chula Vista | Jacumba | Lakeside | La Mesa
La Jolla Hermosa | Lemon Grove | Tijuana/San Ysidro | Tecate
History: The original station was built in 1895 by San Diego, Cuyamaca & Eastern, and was torn down in the 1940s after service ceased. The present building was constructed about one block north of the original site in 1986. This new Lemon Grove trolley station, built as a duplicate of the original, is exemplary of how the nostalgia of train stations lingers on.
Present Use: Lemon Grove’s historic clone serves as a stop on the San Diego trolley line as well as the home for the city’s Chamber of Commerce.
Location: The station sits on the west side of Lemon Grove Avenue just north of Broadway, about one block north of the giant lemon.
The Lemon Grove station and the adjacent Lemon Grove Store stand trackside in this turn-of-the-century view (San Diego Historical Society – Ticor Collection, and Lemon Grove Historical Society).
The new Lemon Grove station was built as a duplicate of the original in 1986. It serves San Diego Trolley passengers today.