The Journal of San Diego History
SAN DIEGO HISTORICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor
by James N. Price
Main Article | Santa Fe Stations | Spreckels Empire
Stations of the Spreckels Empire
Campo | Chula Vista | Jacumba | Lakeside | La Mesa
La Jolla Hermosa | Lemon Grove | Tijuana/San Ysidro | Tecate
History: This Mexican SD&A station, a two-story wood frame building painted yellow with brown trim, was constructed about 1914 and was in use throughout that line’s life. The immediately adjacent Tecate brewery was a major customer for this station and would be again if regular freight service is re-established.
Present Use: The two-story station is basically in mothballs. It appears to be in excellent shape as if awaiting the next train to Tecate.
Location: This very interesting building is located trackside, south of the Tecate brewery, approximately two blocks west and two blocks south of the main plaza in downtown Tecate.
The Tecate station seen just after its construction in 1914. (San Diego History Center – Ticor Collection).
The Tecate station today awaits its next customers. The city’s brewery lies a few feet to the north of the building.