The Railroad Stations of San Diego County
April 1, 1988
by James N. Price
La Jolla Hermosa | Lemon Grove | Tijuana/San Ysidro | Tecate
History: John Spreckels built this station for the SD&A in 1919. The building was originally located downtown on 3rd Avenue, where the last passengers were served in 1951. Southern Pacific, the heir to all SD&A assets, moved the building to its present location in 1958 and then subsequently abandoned it in 1960. Tracks on F Street and Third Avenue were pulled up in 1963.
Present Use: In the 1960s, the building was used as a packing house. Most recently it houses the offices and facilities for a paper recycler. This building’s future is in jeopardy as it lies in an industrial area where considerable new construction is taking place. It probably has neither the historical nor architectural significance to ensure its preservation.
Location: Chula Vista’s former train station, a large blue woodframe structure, is located at Industrial and Moss in the southwestern part of the city. Dozens of San Diego Trolley trains rumble by the building each day.