The Journal of San Diego History
Spring 1988, Volume 34, Number 2
Thomas L. Scharf, Editor

by James N. Price

Spreckels Empire


History: This incredibly small station was built in 1894 by SDC&E. It was used until 1928 for passengers and still later for freight. In the 1950s it was moved to Lakeside by a private party. In the early 1970s, it was returned to its trackside location, and has been beautifully restored by the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association. With traditional train station colors and a steam engine parked alongside, this building exudes railroad nostalgia.

Present Use: PSRMA uses the building and adjacent railroad cars as a museum.

Location: San Diego County’s tiniest train station is located at the southwest corner of Spring Street and La Mesa Blvd. in downtown La Mesa.

La Mesa station in 1910  
La Mesa’s station as seen in 1910. (San Diego Historical Society – Ticor Collection).

La Mesa station today  
The Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association today maintains the La Mesa station as a small museum with a display of rolling stock nearby.